Sunday, November 13, 2011

sunday's "so they said"

this wonderful three day weekend I've had quite a bit of time on my own
so what better thing to do than taking a little afternoon stroll...with my camera
and now on to some sunday business -
this week was filled with lots of grading
here are two things that were "said" on paper, and cracked me up, and scared me all at the same time! And one classroom question I had to keep a straight face for!

one of the essay questions I asked students was what event they thought had the biggest impact on getting the colonists to enter into war with England...here was one response:
"The boston tea party had the greatest influence because they got tired of the tea."
Sounds like a good reason to go to war.  I'm not a big fan of tea either.

And I also learned some geography facts:
Asia is now apparently a country.

My favorite question from the week:
"Is Martha Washington the wife of George Washington?"


Really?  I mean, REALLY?  I kindly responded yes, and that I blame your first grade teacher for that one!

Pretty proud of the above three quotes, and that brings me to...
day twelve: what I'm pretty darn proud of
Well, it's pretty clear I'm not going to say the above knowledge that was displayed this week.  At least they are trying, and I do remember that they are thirteen, and so I just smile when they have a "moment", even though it hurts me inside just a tad.

But, in all seriousness, what am I proud of.  Hearing that my class is an 8th graders favorite class to go to, who is a self-proclaimed "hater of history", that is a moment to be proud of.

Also, the fact that I taught a teenager Martha Washington was our first President's wife.  Hey, at least she got it before high school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...