Wednesday, September 14, 2011

why study history - and a bit of a middle school rant

So I'm a tad behind on this post but things have been a smidge hectic around here.  I decided that before jumping right into curriculum to do an intro project, not to mention I needed art on my walls, and stat!  Well, goal achieved with these partner posters.  This project was completed through several homework assignments and class articles where the students eventually organized the following - why do we study history, how can we learn about other societies through history, and most importantly, how does history make us better citizens?  They responded to these questions in the top three boxes.  Then they were asked to choose any three events in US history they were interested in, draw a picture or symbol representing the event, and ultimately write a paragraph explaining how this event impacted or changed our nation.  Enjoy the prettiness, I know I am daily.


And finally, on a more serious note, I'm still feeling SO lost in the middle school scene.  I know the names of maybe five teachers, I make elementary mistakes daily, and I am still not lovin the whole repeating myself thing.  Not to mention trying to keep track of 180 students is a nightmare.  I know I'm lucky to have a job and blah, blah, blah, but seriously, I'm lacking my usual passion, and well, that just sucks.  I'm trying to build connections with my kids, and I know they are coming, but just at a much slower pace than I'm used to.  My desk is already covered with stacks of paper larger than I have EVER had in my years.  I guess I just need to remember that change is hard.  I was just hoping that in my fifth year I wasn't going to feel less prepared than my first.On the positive side, I broke my habit of writing a 1, 2, 3 or 4 at the top of the tests I was grading (our elementary grading scale) and started writing A, B, C and so on.  Sure I looked a tad like a crazy teacher on a few of the early tests, but hey, I'm trying here folks!

Oh, and one more thing, I HATE having my grade book being online and available for parents to see any time they want.  I'm getting emails daily from parents asking why this and why that?  People, give me until progress notices, which are already due next week, things will all be settled by then.  Sheesh.

Parenting note for the future, don't hover.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sad for you :'( Change is hard and you are a fighter so I know you find your groove soon. We all miss you... your smile and quirky ways. They are lucky to have you there and we wish you success!! Hang in there :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The posters look awesome! Don't worry, your passion will return. It seems like the older kids are, the longer it takes to form relationships with them.

    I like your last comment. I am constantly making mental notes about what not to do when I'm a parent someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks trina - I look forward to seeing your family at fall festival! And thank you Linda- I had a really good day with my kids Friday. I guess it takes about a month for some middle schoolers to realize you are not the worse thing that's happened to them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...